By Axel Klein for DrugWise.
From time to time, we will be featuring guest blogs. Our first one is from Dr Axel Klein from Kent University and Editor of Drugs and Alcohol Today.
- Consensus on Outcome Documents and centrality of drug convention is reached, but big split between reformers and conservative states
- Legalisation schemes continue to be rolled out across different countries in clear contravention of treaty stipulations
- Increasing number of countries adopt death penalty and corporate punishment
- US position puts unprecedented emphasis on treatment and alternative punishment
- Detailed list of operational recommendations likely to result in funding proposals submitted to European Union
- Role of international agencies like INCB and UNODC strengthened
- Detailed critique of human rights violations, adverse impact on public health and development objectives remains unaddressed
- Next meeting in 2019 likely to be more acrimonious